PEELANDER-Z | Go PZ GO | CHICKEN RANCH RECORDS | APRIL 6th, 2018
Peelander-Z – the Japanese Action Comic Punk Band – will follow-up its 2014 full-length hair metal tribute album Metalander-Z with what can only be referred to as a “back to basics” album from the group. Go PZ Go will be released via Chicken Ranch Records on April 6th. The album will be preceded by several singles and videos, including an animated clip for “Go PZ Go / Yeah Yeah Yeah,” (scheduled for release on Feb. 2nd) directed by comedy writer, director, and animator, Jimbo Matison.
Go PZ Go is not only the follow-up to Peelander-Z’s 2014 album; it comes on the heels of a much heralded documentary about the band “Mad Tiger.” The film, directed by Jonathan Yi and Michael Haertlein, was acquired by Film Movement after a successful festival circuit run following its premiere at New York’s IFC Center during DOC NYC. “Mad Tiger” ultimately went on to a nationwide theatrical release and can now be seen via Netflix.
Being called “one of the most visually imaginative punk groups” at the time by the New York Times inevitably led to Peelander-Z winning... an appearance on the all-new version of “The Gong Show” (which possibly stars Mike Myers aka Austin Powers aka Wayne Campbell.) If this doesn’t make sense, refer to the next sentence in the New York Times piece: “In one scene, a band member dressed as a giant squid is rolled into bowling pins.”
Rolling Stone weighed in too, saying, “Since 1998, these NYC-based ex-pats have been utilizing a mondo bizarro formula to the delight of their rabid fans, delivering an insanely entertaining live show that’s like a low-budget cross between GWAR and the Power Rangers.” Peelander-Z, easily identifiable by its band members color-coded names – Peelander-Yellow, Peelander-Pink, Peelander-Purple, and so on, has always been counted on to deliver the “insanity” that Rolling Stone describes.
Now, with Go PZ Go, the band also delivers its most listenable album, one that doesn’t merely act as a fun souvenir and reminder of the memorable experiences that Peelander-Z brings in its live performances. In fact, Go PZ Go is an addictive record all on its own that will appeal to any true punk rocker – young (the fans that Peelander-Z regularly calls up on stage to take over their instruments) and old (those who may only have the stamina to put headphones on in the comfort of their living rooms.)
As usual, the release of Go PZ Go on April 6th will be followed by another massive tour where Peelander-Z guarantees intense audience participation and will take the opportunity to “eat your smile,” as band-leader Peelander-Yellow terms what could ultimately be construed as the group’s mission statement. Further details and full itinerary forthcoming.
Go PZ Go, the ninth full-length album by Peelander-Z, is scheduled for release on April 6th, 2018 via Chicken Ranch Records.
- 04/11/2018: Albuquerque, NM @ Winning Coffee
- 04/12/2018: Flagstaff, AZ @ Green Room
- 04/14/2018: Scottsdale, AZ @ Pub Rock
- 04/15/2018: San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
- 04/16/2018: Los Angeles, CA @ Viper Room
- 04/17/2018: Morrow Bay, CA @ The Siren
- 04/18/2018: Las Vegas, NV @ Beauty Bar
- 04/20/2018: San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge (7PM, All Ages)
- 04/22/2018: Bend, OR @ Volcanic Theater Pub
- 04/23/2018: Portland, OR @ Bunk Bar
- 04/24/2018: Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
- 04/25/2018: Spokane, WA @ The Big Dipper
- 04/26/2018: Bozeman, MT @ Zebra Lounge
- 04/27/2018: Helena, MT @ Jester's
- 04/29/2018: Boise, ID @ Neurolux
- 05/01/2018: Salt Lake City, UT @ Urban Lounge
- 05/02/2018: Ft. Collins, CO @ Hodi's Half Note
- 05/03/2018: Denver, CO @ Streets Of London
- 05/05/2018: Sioux Falls, SD @ Bigs Bar
- 05/06/2018: Fargo, ND @ The Aquarium
- 05/07/2018: Minneapolis, MN @ Turf Club
- 05/08/2018: Lincoln, NE @ Bourbon Theatre (Rye Room)
- 05/09/2018: Tulsa, OK @ Mercury Lounge
- 05/10/2018: Norman, OK @ Opolis
- 05/11/2018: Denton, TX @ Dan's Silver Leaf
- 05/12/2018: Austin, TX @ Barracuda
- 04/09/2018: Peelander-Z announces month-long tour in support of “Japanese Action Comic Punk” group’s just-released ninth new album.
- 3/14/2018: “Japanese Action Comic Punk” band Peelander-Z launches week of SXSW shows today; New album “Go PZ Go” arrives April 6th.
- 2/5/2018: Peelander-Z follows-up 2014 hair metal tribute LP, 2016 film festival favorite doc “Mad Tiger” with back-to-basics “Go PZ Go” on April 6th.
ON THE WEB: